Saturday 9 May 2009

Tiredness

Wow - after feeling so dire for so many weeks I finally went to the doctor for blood tests. I have now been told I have an under active thyroid - oh joy of joys - a little white tablet now gets swallowed every morning for the rest of my life - oh the thrill of getting older. I can only describe an under active thyroid as being chased uphill by syrup - that is what I have felt like for so long now. Everything goes in slow motion.

Hey ho - I will not be defeated and cannot wait for these pills to kick in so that I begin to feel human again. I am back on track now with making new jewellery and trying to be focused on new ideas. We are at the Herts County Show (http://www.hertsshow.com/) in a couple of weeks and I am now busy busy busy making and doing. Any tips on thyroid anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know v much about underactive thyroid. The symptoms can be quite varied but present almost likle a depression - lacking in energy, everything feeling much more of an effort, feeling exhausted for no apparent reason, low mood. It generally slows the metabolism right down so people sometimes gain weight too.

    I'm assuming you've been prescribed thyroxine. The dose can be adjusted. This'll probably be gauged by how you're feeling and by (joy of joys) more blood tests.

    If you have a diagnosis of hypothyroidism you're entitled to free prescriptions. Sometimes other things give rise to an under-active thyroid (ie side effects of other meds) I had this when prescribed lithium ... don't think you get the free px in that case though (but I might be wrong)

    You should start to feel an awful lot better - esp when the dose is right for you.

    Hope you're feeling well very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I will get there - eventually! I know it takes a while to get into your system and I am only two weeks in with the pills. The tiredness has been debilitating to say the least, but I will bounce back with a vengeance.

    ReplyDelete